You can simply stock spices/herbs and/or products for the shelf. For those of you who are brave of heart and love the meditation of working with your hands, here's a supermarket list:
- garlic cloves
- raw unprocessed honey
- ginger root
- peppermint leaves
- organic bell peppers (all colors)
- cayenne pepper
- apple cider vinegar
- more garlic
- Bulk herbs of: astragalus, chamomile flowers, calendula flowers, elder flowers, echinacea, licorice, red clover, lemon balm, spearmint and rose hips.
1. Build up the immune system....... to prevent colds/flu
2. Make cough syrups, herbal drinks/baths........ once you first hear or see signs of illness in your household
3. Enjoy the side effects........ heart health, lower/maintain cholesterol, diabetic friendly
To make herbal drink: Bring water (preferably not tap) with herb(s) and/or roots to boil, then simmer for 30 mins. Drink about 3 cups a day, if needed use raw honey.
To cook: Add onion, garlic, peppers to as many things as possible.... tomato sauce, salads, omelets, beans, etc....
For those who are not yet up to letting your kitchen be your medicinary, there's always Vit C, Zinc, Garlic Pills and many professional grade products that can keep you through the winter. As always, get a consultation from a Naturopath or Holistic Practitioner to give you a specific plan.